Friday, April 2, 2010

week #14

I really don't understand many of my quirks and weird ways. I'm a social enigma, what can I say. However, I do think I'm one of the most ambivalent people ever. Okay, maybe not ever, but I just don't care about a lot of things.

But, the other night I watched Food, Inc. It's a documentary about where our food in the U.S. comes from. It was amazingly interesting and also quite disturbing. It's astounding to realize the chemicals that are in your food, and the way giant corporations treat animals, farmers, and us, the consumer. The movie is just graphic enough to really make you want to change your habits.

Right after watching it, I went and cleaned out some of the processed junk I had in my cupboards and got rid of the frozen chicken I had in the freezer. I think the scenes about how chickens are raised really hurt my heart. And while no, I'm not giving up chicken, I'm also not going to buy just any old package off the shelf anymore.

Side note: Another great show that makes you think about food differently is Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution. I recommend you view it. It's more about the way Americans eat all processed food and we're all fat cows.

So, after all my television watching, I decided this week's thing is not really for this week, but hopefully for the rest of my life. I'm going to try to be more socially responsible in my grocery shopping. Buy local. Buy organic. Know where your food is coming from. Make dinner from scratch. Yay for a healthy person and planet. Yay for having an opinion. No more ambivalence.

No comments:

Post a Comment