Thursday, October 14, 2010

week #42

New things galore.

Want a wrap up of Open House New York? I went to the Grand Lodge of Masons. It was interesting. They have 12 different lodge rooms and they all have different themes - like Egyptian, Colonial, Corinthian, etc. They're actually pretty gaudy some of them. The Egyptian room reminded me of the Cheesecake Factory. Either way, the architecture was pretty cool, but they did not give away any mason secrets, so that was sort of a bummer. I wanted secret ritual details, and Jack the Ripper stories, not stories of Shriners helping children. Barf. I also went to the Ukrainian American Center, which was really just an old building on Central Park West. 1920s swanky.

Also this week, just as an added bonus, a friend of mine happened to have an extra ticket to a taping of the Slate Political Gabfest podcast. Slate is one of the best web sites, and this live taping was fun and thought-provoking. If you listen to the podcast, you'll be able to hear me clapping in the crowd. Booyah. I'm going to be famous.

For next week, I'm going to the International Pickle Day on Sunday. Evidently there is a history of shops that pickle their own cucumbers and other veggies in New York. I've been to the Pickle Guys before, and their pickles were fantastic, so I'm excited to, as the brochure says, see pickle demonstrations and educational displays, as well as, let's face it, eat pickles. That should be fun and delicious. Plus, I always heard pickles were a great cure for a hangover.

I'm distracted with this post. Sorry, I'm catching up on the last however-many seasons of 30 Rock. Streaming Netflix. I wanted to save money and screw over Time Warner a little, so I don't have cable. Besides, I used to work in the evenings, so I never had a chance to enjoy this show when it originally aired. I'm on a 30 Rock bender right now. My mind grapes are turning to mush.

No comments:

Post a Comment