Thursday, July 1, 2010

week #27

Happy July all. So for this week and the foreseeable future, I've become a freelance artist. Whoa, I know you're thinking this is out of the blue, but wait, let me explain. I may just be an editor to some of you, fixing commas, adjusting punctuation on quotes (come on people, learn how to quote someone!), explaining the difference between it's and its, etc., but actually, I have a degree in digital design and have taken tons of art and design classes.

My friend Mitch is always telling me to get out there and use that knowledge and talent, but I haven't. I think I'm a little worried about my skill level. Sometimes when you see your work next to your peers and you think, "oh, their piece is great, I should have changed this or that," it does put a little doubt in your mind. But I guess people are probably looking at your stuff thinking the same thing. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that.

Anyway, I joined this web site where I can post my stuff, and people can determine if they want to use me for a freelance project like creating a flyer or illustration or whatever, and I can also browse listings of people who need to have work done and bid on the job. What's the worst that can happen? I make a little extra money, add work to my portfolio, gain a little exposure -- all wins here.

Plus this gets me one step closer to becoming a recluse, expat artist living in an obscure European city. Oh, how very Hemingway.

No comments:

Post a Comment