Saturday, November 6, 2010

week #45

Today I wandered through Central Park enjoying the sunny, brisk fall day. I'm no Ansel Adams, but I took some photos. It was a gorgeous day.




The other day I was on the subway heading to work. I was lucky enough to find a seat, but as we went along, the train was getting more crowded. A man and his two young kids got on -- a 9-ish year old boy, and a 5-ish year old girl. The woman next to me got up to let them sit, and the young girl climbed into her seat, and I started to get up to give up my seat as well, but both the boy and his dad said, "no, no, sit down." I asked if they were sure, and they insisted I keep my seat. The little girl next to me though, wasn't happy with that and said to me, "can you pleeeeaaaase let my dad sit down?" So I went to stand up again, but the man told me to sit back down, and said something to his daughter in Spanish. This happened a few more times. The girl trying to get me to get up, and the man telling me to stay put. I felt like a total jerk. So, the next time the little girl asks for her dad to sit, I said, "Your dad won't let me give up my seat." This seemed to resign her to the fact that we were sitting next to each other, so she figured she should get to know me.

"What's your name?" she asked.
"Carly."
"My name is Maria."
"Hi, Maria."
"What's your phone number?"
- pause -
"I can't give you my phone number."
"Why?"
"Because then you'll be calling me all the time."
"No I won't."
"Sorry."
"What's your name?"
"Carly."
"What's your phone number?"
- giggle -
"I'm not going to tell you."
"Why?"
"Because then you'll call me all the time."
"I like your hair."
"Thanks"
"I like your face."
"Um. Thanks."
"What's your name?"
"I already told you."
"I forget."
"Carly."

Continue this for at least 5 stops. Continually being asked for my name and phone number. Other people on the train were snickering, and Maria's father kept talking to her in Spanish. I assume telling her to be quiet. They eventually got off. Mr. Mom apologized profusely, but I told him it was fine. In fact, it really made my day.

Tomorrow is the New York City marathon. I am going to support the runners by going to Peter Pan Bakery in Greenpoint to nosh on a few doughnuts while I cheer on people exercising.

Hey, I like your face.

No comments:

Post a Comment