Sunday, March 14, 2010

week #11

I hate cherries. I am generally a culinary goat. I'll try anything. But cherries, I just can't get past cherries. I don't like the actual fruit. I don't like the ones you get on top of sundaes. I don't like cherry-flavored anything. I'm skeptical of red colored candy because it could be strawberry, ooooor, it could be cherry.

When I was in college, I read this article about businessmen in Japan. Doing business in Japan meant that CEOs and such from the US had to respect the customs and culture of the execs from Japan, which meant going out and eating sushi. The article went on to say the US businessmen would have to eat sushi, even if they didn't like it, so as not to offend their Japanese hosts. The trick to teaching yourself to like something, was doing it/eating it for 9 days. (I think it was 9 days... it could be a week or two weeks, but I can't find this article on the internet and for some reason that number sticks out, so I'm going with it.)

I really like sushi, so doing business in Japan would be A-Okay for me, but I'm trying to use this theory on my hatred of cherries. I'm eating 2 cherries a day for this week. Maybe at the end of the week I will LOVE cherries, but I'm doubtful. I think I have some repressed cherry memories from when I was a kid. Or maybe it's that I was scarred from that scene from the Witches of Eastwick where they all start spitting up cherry pits.

No comments:

Post a Comment